Thursday, October 27, 2011

Tigers v. Jackets preview

Today is exactly eleven years after Tampa native Gary Godsey threw a TD pass that landed 30 feet in front of me. It landed in the waiting hands of a Jacket WR with 8 seconds left and he barely got one foot down to give them the victory. Clemson was 8-0 then and has not been 8-0 until this year.

Someone commented, “Will Boyd look like crap early like Va. Tech and Maryland?” So I thought, but that is the only two road games. Surely he has looked good early in other road games. Then my friend stated, “Clemson has only played two road games and quit calling me Shirley.” This is a concern. This very young team is still not battle tested on the road. Granted at Georgia Tech is not a rough environment (at least not on the field, because the rest of Atlanta is one giant cesspool) and will probably be half full of Clemson fans, but it isn’t the friendly confines of Death Valley.

Both teams average over 40 points a game. Over anyone? I think I saw it was in the 60s. Wow. Still tempting when it is that high. Sounded to me from the little I watched of Ga Tech vs. Miami that Miami said screw reading and reacting, we are going to just fire our LBs and blow up the line. You would think that would force more stops while also giving up big plays, but it didn’t. It just forced more stops. I don’t think the Tigers will do this. I think we will see the same tentative, do I hit the QB or the RB stuttering from our Def. Ends and LBs. When in doubt hit the hell out of the QB. An option guy should get hit 20-25 times a game. That will wear on him and then he will start pitching every time. Hopefully I am wrong and Clemson will crush him, a lot. Actually I think I will count how many times he gets hit. If it is over 20 Clemson will win.

No clue on this one. I always hate the Ga Tech game. I feel like we have had more talent than them for the last two decades, but they usually play smarter and more disciplined.

Clemson 38 Tech 31

Tangent #1
The NCAA now will give $2000 to full scholarship athletes to pay for incidentals. These incidentals include laundry, going out to movies and the ever essential for the growing athlete: pot, beer and strippers. As I said before the really poor players already get a $5,500 govt. check from your hard earned tax dollars. That’s right. The Pell grant doesn’t care if you already have a full scholarship, they will still cut you a $5,500 check as long as your parents make less than 40 Gs! So now those kids will have $7,500 in walking around money. They will be one of the richest people on most college campuses. I know I never had $7,500 to spend.

Who actually benefits will be the ones from middle to low income households who do not qualify for the Pell grant. But these kids are getting a free education and for 18 years their parents had to pay to feed them, clothe them, etc.. Now all the kid really needs is like 50 bucks a month and you can’t come up with that. You have no tuition, no room, no board to pay for and you can’t come up with $50 a month. Please.

These kids walk around like the school owes them something just because they can catch a football or dunk a basketball. Yes, it probably stinks that the school and the NCAA is making a ton of money off of you, but that money gets spent on non-revenue sports at the school level and the lower Divisions at the NCAA level. I’m not going to pretend there isn’t waste and fraud in the NCAA, but that is not a reason to now pay players. They are already paid with the opportunity to earn a free degree. A degree studies show is worth on the average of a million dollars in earning potential over one’s lifetime.

Tangent #2
So I got some random email about some house bill called "Student Non-Discrimination Act," and if it gets passed the email claims:

"In fact, it will set them up to ram through their entire perverted vision for a homosexual America."

I guess they don't see the humor (or maybe they did) in using the term "ram through." Whether you agree with your classrooms being pro-gay or not is this really something that should or can be enforced at the federal level?

No comments:

Post a Comment