Friday, October 7, 2011

Clemson stuff and Junior College Randomness

Alumni Giving
So, while I was getting a call from the alumni office at Georgia College (who does a great job of politely hounding me for money), I checked on Clemson's alumni giving rate. It is 25th in the nation at 28%. The school gets credit if you even donate $5, so if any alumni are reading this I recommend giving at least a little. If for nothing else because we are tied for 25th with GA Tech and who can stand GA Tech. I didn't give for the longest, because I didn't believe in Parker's Top 20 initiative, but I figure what the heck, he is going to be there a while whether I give or not. Plus, I gave half to scholarships and half to the West End Zone project. So you can indirectly give to athletics. I wonder if IPTAY giving counts for alumni giving?

Best stories lately from the junior college realm:
1. Was doing room checks looking for safety issues such as plastic lamps and toaster ovens and if I happen to notice more dangerous safety items such as hand guns then I would probably note that too. One of the rooms had a huge box of extra large magnum condoms. Right next to that and actually touching the box was the holy bible.

2. Another juxtaposition is our student body. Almost all our on campus students are black. Almost all our commuter students are white. Our on campus putzes can be seen throwing oranges into the swimming pool, while our commuters can be seen wearing T-shirts "Does my lip stick match my four wheeler?" Actually saw that shirt today.

Other Random thought
I love that Fox News is complaining about a few "green" companies the government gave loans to and then failed. Why is the issue that a few of these didn't work. The issue should be the federal government should not loan money to a company. How does the federal govt. who is $14.83 trillion dollars in debt lend money to anyone? That debt is incomprehensible. This is a little easier to wrap your head around, that debt is $180,037 per family. And it is growing a ton. The debt goes up ONE MILLION every 35 seconds. So when you watch a college basketball game, every time the shot clock goes off you know your country just went ONE MILLION more dollars in debt. Lovely. Check out this website for a quick look: http://www.usdebtclock.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment