Thursday, October 20, 2011

UNC Preview

Our first full length stop clock exhibition was Wednesday. It went pretty well. As a junior college we did pretty well to hang around with a four year school. I love when refs come over and they are kind of too into the moment and a little adrenaline is going and they talk to our head coach and say things like, “What you got to do is know that when you say it, then we gotta roll with it. I hear you and that is the end of it. No need to harp on it cause we are gonna roll.” “Huh?” says our coach, “I wasn’t even yelling at you about anything.” Then later in the game another one says, “Coach that is enough.” Again coach says I wasn’t even talking to you. Reply: “It’s a package deal. Package deal.”

On the way up was even more interesting. I can’t stand modern rap, but I figured instead of eight black players in anguish as Toby Keith sings about patriotism it is better that only one white person is appalled by songs centered solely on drugs, murdering and quickies. The first song had a great line: “She so cool she gives ___ with her shades on.” I’ll let you fill in the blank and it wasn’t gifts if that was your first guess. Next song had the chorus, “I aint lookin for love, I just want a quickie. I don’t want no hickey, I just want a quickie.” Those are words to live by. I put something similar in my wedding vows. Not to be outdone by the wonderful wisdom of: “I’m out there gettin it, so of course I’m spendin it.” I wanted to reach through the radio and tell him to buy some silver! We mock rappers sometimes for their ridiculous expenditures, but right now with the inevitable crash of the dollar the smartest thing to do is probably to buy gold chains.

As for Clemson, last week was a crazy roller coaster ride. The Tiger defense is by no means good, even though Brian Griese kept saying, “Wow, Maryland is torching this very good Clemson defense.” What they are is opportunistic and have made enough plays to allow a great offense to win games. Yes, they were very good at Virginia Tech and for a half against Auburn, but I would say the defense is average to above average. That said, I expect them to hold UNC in the twenties. Maybe they won’t. Again, I’m not in the prediction business especially this season. Of course it could always be your trap game with Georgia Tech a week away. Who knows? Clemson could win by 40 or lose.

Plyler had a great blog on Wed. Every year, ESPN in an effort to self promote a college playoff they would make a ton of money off of, claims the world is caving in. This will be such an injustice to Clemson and Stanford if all 8 teams go undefeated. Plyler showed that in the last nine seasons 79 teams were undefeated after Week 7, yet only 23 went into the bowl games undefeated. And only Auburn went undefeated out of a BCS automatic qualifier conference and still denied a title shot. Did you know Boise has had an undefeated regular season four of the last seven years? I am surprised the entire state of Idaho hasn’t petitioned Congress to help them get a play off.

I wouldn’t mind the top four playing a quick playoff, but the thought of eight or 16 just doesn’t do it for me. How awesome is the Bama-LSU game going to be? How about the Okl.-OSU game? Neither of those games would matter nearly as much if eight got in. College football is the only sport left with a regular season that matters. Clemson probably doesn’t go undefeated, but every game on their 12/13 game schedule is a national championship semifinal game. Any loss and they are out. That is what makes it great. A college football playoff would be great, but what we have now is pretty darn good. I think four would be good because I hate the idea of an undefeated team being left out. Any one loss team has no beef because they should not have lost. Hopefully Clemson can eclipse mine and Vegas' season win total by only Week 8.

Clemson 34
UNC 23

No comments:

Post a Comment