Friday, October 7, 2011

Random thoughts and BC

ESPN is so ridiculous. They have no backbone. So Hank Williams Jr said Obama and House Speaker John Boehner golfing is like Hitler and Netanyahu playing golf. Let's ignore the fact that Hitler died in 1945 and Netanyahu was born in 1949. I guess the fact that one is Jewish and the other wasn't too fond of Jewish folks is what he was going for. Of course everybody says he compares Obama to Hitler, because that makes for better news.

I love that Hank said it was a dumb statement and sorry it offended, but also said ESPN stomped on his first ammendment privaleges by pulling his song. He said: "I have made MY decision . . . Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE." ESPN had every right to pull him and Hank has every right to fire ESPN. He will probably get picked up by NBC next year for Sunday night football.

This is just like when ESPN fired Rush Limbaugh because he commented on the most overrated QB of the last 20 years, Donavon McNabb, ""Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go," Limbaugh said. "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

At no point did Rush say anything that probably wasn't happening. Anyway, they let him go and they are so soft on anything. ESPN is just a 24 hour commercial for itself. Gameday doesn't go to the best game, they go to the best game on ABC/ESPN. Sports center focuses on sports they carry like the god awful WNBA.

One of the things ESPN does right is Dr. Lou. As much as most of us can't stand his Gamecockness (and once you have it, you can't get rid of it...it's like herpes), I still love his segment Dr. Lou. He was asked, "What is the biggest change from coaching today's players and the players of 40 years ago?" He is THAT old. He said, "The same change in all of society. Everybody now wants to scream about their rights and privileges, when 40 years ago we talked more about our duties and responsibilities." I coach and 9 times out of 10, if a kid gives up a bucket it is because A.his teammate didn't call out a screen B.someone else should have helped or C. someone was supposed to switch with him. Rarely does a kid say, "I'll just do better next time." I'm guilty of it too. I come up with five excuses in my head for why I didn't get something done. As I get older, I try to supress those thoughts and think about how I can just do better next time.

As for BC...
I can't stand that program. I can't stand they are 4-2 against Clemson since entering the ACC. They have no business in the ACC geographically or athletically and Clemson fails to prove that. Even with NFL QB Matt Ryan, at no time did BC have more talent than Clemson. They play smarter and possibly better coached. I was there last year in Chestnut Hill for the embarassing defeat that was the beginning of the end for the 2010 Tigers and for OC Billy Napier. At no point was the crowd a factor. This is also something frustrating for Tiger fans. The only very difficult venues to play in the whole ACC are Clemson, FSU and Va Tech. Maybe UVA, UNC and NC St can be somewhat tough when they are going good. I'll reserve judegement because I have not been there. Duke and Wake are the only other ACC stadiums I have not been to, but I know they are lame. Miami is not as tough you would think.

Anyway, as for Saturday Clemson should romp. Enough with the, "Do they have anything left in the tank?" Most of these kids are teenagers. Do you remember ever being tired when you were a teenager. It is Dabo's job to get these guys up for EVERY game, not just the big ones. That is where Tommy Bowden failed. He believed it was the player's job to motivate himself. This is true to a point, but a coach needs to express the importance of giving maximum effort regardless of opponent. I think Dabo is pretty good at that. He says it's only 12 Saturdays a year. If you can't get up 12 times in a year, something is wrong with you. As much as he will try though, the Tigers will have a little drop off. That said, a drop off still better mean the BC offense only scores at most 17 points. It is a high school offense.
(5-0) Clemson 34 (1-4) BC 17
I had us at 2-3 at this point and still going 7-5, so hopefully Clemson can go at least 5-2 down the stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment