Wednesday, November 2, 2011

ATLANTA!! WORST!!

Not in mourning due to Clemson defeat, but just got busy due to basketball. First game is tonight. I am on the bus traveling through rural GA. Just passed Ogeechee Tech. Never heard of it. Thought I had heard of every college in GA. Anyway, the game Saturday was awful. I said before I love our offense being great, but it is frustrating having a below average defense. I don’t think Clemson has had a defense this average for the last five years. I don’t feel like looking it up, but it has been a little while since the defense was this mediocre. I wouldn’t fire Steele, but I would hire an “advisor” for the week of the Ga. Tech game and tell him to get some much needed rest that week. Last year they did a pretty good job of stopping the option, but the other three times he has faced it, Steele has led a defense that looked lost for most of the game. I am not a football coach, but it is rare you see 4 dbs in the game against an option attack. After the game, Steele spoke most about the big plays they gave up. I think that is the wrong approach against the option. You have to put 9 in the box and every now and then they will break through for a 30 or 40 yard gain. What kills you is giving up 4, 5, 3, 6, 5, 4. You can’t just sit back and play bend, no break. Because unlike a passing attack that can get a little stalled in the red zone or is due to turn it over if you make them throw the ball enough because of the lack of room to operate, an option attack doesn’t need space. It is just as effective on the 5 as it is at midfield. Anyway, Steele is partly to blame, but no scheme works when seven of your 11 defenders are laying on the turf after every play. Holy cut blocks! Every time they ran toss I could have been at tail back and gained at least five yards.

Not to make excuses, but I think that might have been an old fashioned shootout if Ellington plays. Probably would have had two less fumbles and his picking up of the blitz is much better than the freshies. As talented as this freshman class is it is always hard to play freshman. They always struggle with fumbles and make so many mistakes only coaches notice. Even the immaculate Sammy Watkins ran the wrong route that cost us a late TD. As a coach I will tell you sometimes the only good thing about Freshman is that they are Sophomores the next year. But, to win a lot of games in football you need to be deep.

As bad as the Tigers looked, they never did quit. The offense got it rolling, but was just derailed by a few drops and turnovers. The defense gave Clemson a chance with that interception, but did not give much resistance on the last drive.
And now onto the punt decision. Let me preface this with it would not have meant we won. In retrospect it actually worked out because the Jackets were dumb enough to put the ball in the air. All that said, it was a terrible decision. Yes 4th and 10 is a long way, but this is a vertical passing attack. I would put our chances of converting a 4th and 10 at 25 to 30%. That is a high enough percent to go for it at midfield with less than ten minutes to go in a game where you have NOT stopped the other team.

On a lighter note… Atlanta sucks for college football. No tailgating and fearing for your life most of the time. One young man ran by us and screamed, “OH YEAH!! I GOT A MOTHERF#$ING PLATE!!” We don’t know what that means but pretty bizarre. Later when negotiating with scalpers who wanted 100, I said how about 70. He turned with a lit cigarette in his gold filled mouth and said, “70 what…Dollars??” And then we walked away and stumbled later into 20 dollar tix. Had I known it was going to be that bad of game I wouldn’t have paid a dime. I like that the stadium is so old and historic, but it is a nightmare to get into from most gates and the worst part is there was no RELISH OR ONIONS for my hot dog. You pay 4 dollars for a hot dog, you expect to be graced with all the condiments a hot dog deserves. But the main reason I hate Atlanta is because Clemson has a 6 game losing streak there.
4 Tech games, Bama opener blow out and the Peach Bowl loss to Auburn.

Maybe next year the Tigers can end that streak by beating Auburn next year in the opener. More importantly the Tigers need to rest up and beat the crap out of Wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment