Tuesday, September 22, 2009

DAY 21

9:00 pm Finally made it to church on a Sunday. As advertised, the mass is only 30 minutes long. On Sunday there is a sermon, but only music at communion. Per swine flu regulations, we also do not shake hands as a sign of peace. We just look at each other and wave two fingers in the air.

11:00 am Some more pickup. I had to say something I don’t think you would ever say in the States and I hope never to say again. “Somebody guard the guy in the capris! He’s killing us!” The other team had a 6’10” Bosnian and a 6’11” Lithuanian. I’m not exaggerating. Needless to say we did not win.

1:00 pm We start walking home. We are 10 miles from our temporary home. My buddy Flo assures me that someone will pick us up. Again we are about 50 years back in time. Sure enough, only one minute down the road someone who knew Flo took us the 10 minutes back to Claregalway.

4:00 pm Huge Gaelic football rivalry in one of the four provincial finals. County Mayo vs. County Galway. Galway is known as the Tribesman, but Mayo has no mascot. I suggested they should be the Naise. Get it, Mayo Naise. They could get a guy to dress up like a big bottle of Hellmans. They could use cheers like, “Let’s spread it ON!!”

The game was fantastic. Mayo dominated throughout and had a 7 point lead with three minutes to go. This is a sizable lead since a ball in the goal is worth 3 and a ball over the goal and between the uprights is only worth one. So Galway scores four quick points and force a crucial turnover with 30 seconds left and of course fire a Hail Mary pass which is caught and put in the goal for the tie. Mayo comes back with a great kick for a point in the last 10 seconds.

6:00 pm Two hour bus ride to Ballina.

8:00 pm In an interesting quirk of fate, for the second time this week I ate the same exact meal twice in one day. Pot roast, corn, carrots and of course mashed potatoes. Both excellent, but funny. Maybe there is a set meal for each day of the week in this country.

10:00 pm Out to the pub for a pint. Very good Guinness and the cover band was excellent. The speakers here have super duper bass. When you are within 20 feet of the speakers you can feel the bass reverberate through your body. My wingman Flo disappeared and I navigate the twenty minute walk home, never sure of the route until the moment I see the doorway.

2:30 am I guess wired from the live band, I watch some awful British version of Grey’s Anatomy. After, I got important news, such as the Pope broke his wrist.

No comments:

Post a Comment