Sunday, August 23, 2009

DAY 12

11:00 am Jog through town. Realizing this is a great way to tour a city. Especially when the thought of driving on these narrow, signless streets scares the crap out of me. I also find I am not worrying so much about being out of place. Probably because I was told to tuck the strings of my hoodie in, because no one here has the strings. Not as concerned with seeing all the sights, but just taking in the places. Transitioning ever so slightly from a tourist to a traveler.
Went in the most beautiful church I have ever been inside. The Galway Cathedral is not the most ornate, but it is incredible. Right over the alter it rises way up and gives it that “heavenly” feel. There is not that much stained glass, but what it has is spectacular. It’s stone walls are fairly bare, giving it a very classical feel.

Also, went inside the church St. Partrick’s collegiate from last night’s creepy adventure. It dates back to the 1300’s. Not nearly as breath taking but impressive for its age.

Ran down to Salt Hill, which is on the coast of Galway Bay. Even the stones on the shores have bright green something growing on them. Saw another church with a wedding about to happen. Later, around 5 what I assume to be that same wedding party scared the crap out of me by honking from their Rols Royce. Of course, with the narrow streets I was 2 feet from the car. Anyway, Salt Hill is just a nice stretch of rocky coast with an old light house.

1:00 pm Dave and I hit up lunch. Had some of his excellent Salmon while he tried my new favorite… LAMB. Bahhh!!

2:00 pm Asked a camera store about my camera and he informed me I am much better off just buying a new one and the requisite camera bag!

3:00 pm TK’s initial pickup time for the trip down to Cork of 3 or 4 has now been changed to 6. Irish time is great. Can’t complain, at least I’m not on a bus again.

4:00 pm Dave had to run and now I am locked in again. I turned in my spare key since my departure is imminent, but you need a key to even get out of our flat. This was not a problem when Dave left the door unlocked, but apparently Grannie downstairs is out and about. Luckily he left his phone with me so I can communicate with my ride, so the Kiwi coach from next door got the spare key and let me in. Irish doors are pissing me off.

4:15 pm With a couple of hours, probably more with the Irish, to kill I decide to hit the Galway museum. Nice place with a piece on JFK’s visit in June of ‘63. Apparantly all 8 of his great-grandparents were from Ireland. He is much beloved over here, as is Clinton, but for different reasons. Great view of the city and bay from the third floor. Many swans can be seen, which legend has it the souls of the departed return in the swans. Not making that up. Stopped by the famed Lynche’s window, where allegedly the mayor of Galway hung his son for killing a Spanish traveler. Also, Lynch’s castle is one of the oldest castles in the country and is now a bank. Again, not making that up.

7:00 pm Get picked up and now a lovely little three hour drive on the skinny Irish highways. Nice weather until we are an hour and a half out and then it pours for most of the rest of the trip.

10:00 pm We get there too late for the older men to want to go out to a pub. The fridge was graciously stocked with ham, turkey, tomatoes and a bunch of ice cream snacks. Cork is awesome. Every part of Ireland has a different accent. The Cork one is very sing songy. I found I can understand it with lots of effort and concentration. The problem is I will listen to a long joke or funny story and understand all of it, until at the very end, the teller will begin to giggle and I will miss the punchline. So after a minute of my fake laughter we do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment