Wednesday, September 7, 2011

ACC Observations

Wow, this league is awful. Take out Virginia Tech and there isn't a single consistently good program in the Atlantic Crap Conference. I am not even sold on the FSU resurgence yet, while I still think they win their division but not the league.

Let's review.
BC gets beat at home by Northwestern and their back-up quarterback, Wake can't beat a terrible Syracuse team and Duke loses to the Richmond Spiders. I know the ACC would never hang its hat on Duke football, but it seemed Cutcliffe had Duke to the point where they could at least beat a I-AA opponent (and yes its I-AA). I don't know what the hell FBS or BS or BSF stands for and I don't care. I would call Richmond winning, but they beat Duke in '09. Didn't play them last year, so that is a two game winning streak!! Unbelievable. In the last 2+ years a I-AA team has beaten a BCS conf. I-A team only 8 times and 4 of those were ACC defeats.

Now, to the more positive observations. I think Va. Tech goes 8-1 in the ACC, with their eighth win in the title game. The Hokie defense is better than last years. The only reason I am giving them one loss is because their young QB will botch up one game.

On Va. Tech's side of the league you have UNC and Miami in shambles due to their cheating and Duke is just plain terrible. Virginia is only mediocre, so that only leaves Ga Tech to compete for the division. Tech does not have the horses for that race.

On the other side, as much as I can't stand BC even being in the league, they are a pain in the butt. They have very little talent, but they play so disciplined and have an All-American caliber middle linebacker who makes plays all over the field. Wake isn't very good and Clemson is a huge wild card. NC State will be interesting, but they are so injury plagued this year it will be hard to compete for a division title. That leaves FSU and the suprising Maryland Terrapins. Maryland's QB was rookie of the year last year, so they should be okay, but probably not enough to beat FSU.

The ACC needs a good next few weeks in out of conference to restore a tiny bit of faith in its ability to play football at a big boy level.

No comments:

Post a Comment