Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ENGAGEMENT

PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE http://www.weddingwire.com/shaunandchristie for hotel info, venue info and GREAT music.

Since some of you want to know the details and not all of you had the chance to hear my story telling ability, here it goes. On Saturday September 4th, 2010 Christie experienced her first day of college football tailgating (that is the real date worth remembering). She was a very impressive 3-1 in corn hole including throwing three straight in the hole on the first three throws of her tailgating career. Christie experienced her first “running down the hill” and I believe she said, “Oh my God, that’s the most exciting thing I’ve ever experienced.” That might not be a direct quote, but I could sense that feeling in her facial expression.
The day after the Clemson Tigers took care of business in Death Valley, Christie and I went to church. I had my wallet in my front pocket and figured the ring would be well hidden behind my George Costanza sized wallet. On the ride there Christie put her hand on my knee and I snatched it to hold her hand and keep her away. She alleges this was not a giveaway that something was amiss. I came up with the BS line that my throat hurt from the game and didn’t feel like talking as much as normal. My lack of conversational motivation was actually due to my severe nerves. At church I played a constant game of keep her hand away from my pocket to the point where I could barely focus on the service. Finally, I decided after mass to move the ring box from my front pocket to an extra pocket lower on my cargo shorts. With all my focus on this, Jon and Julie pointed out when we got to the car that I really needed to XYZ. I did indeed need to examine my zipper, as it was Wide Open.
NOW TO THE BOTANICAL GARDENS

Then we took a nice trip to the Botanical Gardens. We saw coy, turtles, a waterfall and a cute old couple who were nice enough to take our picture. After seeing my Clemson shirt, the lady asked, “Did we win?” After I answered in the affirmative, she said in a high pitch and funny octogenarian voice, “OH YEAH!”

NOW TO THE "USUALLY" SECLUDED DIKES OVERLOOKING LAKE HARTWELL
We then traveled to a place I thought was very secluded right along the picturesque Lake Hartwell. It was secluded usually when I went out there as a student, but I guess I never went out there on Labor Day weekend. So, we end up walking three to four hundred yards longer than I wanted to and had to duck into the woods (picking up a few thorns along the way) to find a little privacy. Risking the loss of my man card (and unknown to most of you) I have a small amount of skill as an amateur poet. To keep myself from being a bumbling mess, I used poetry as my script. I read the first half, and she read the second half which ended with these lines:
Now is the time and here is the place
To do something I hope puts a smile on your face.
Because I have a question you see,
And then all I had to do was get on one knee and say, “would you make me so happy and marry me.”
HERE IS THE RING
Then I slipped the ring on her finger. It got very stuck on the knuckle and thankfully fit on. We then traversed the thorny non-path back to the dike. We had a few kindly folks snap a few pictures and headed back to the lake house. On the road I lost track of my speed and Officer Greer is now our first weeding invitee. He did reduce the ticket, but was not overly compassionate; informing me “I still need to control my emotions.” Well, he better bring a pretty good gift to make up for his heartless ticket. Anyway, even with that, it was a pretty phenomenal weekend.
AND HERE ARE THE COOKIES LINDSAY WAS NICE ENOUGH TO MAKE

No comments:

Post a Comment